Sunday, December 12, 2010

Bikes in the snow




The snow near Mammoth Cave, Kentucky, prevented me from doing anything more strenuous than taking a picture of my single-speed 29er this morning. Not being sure I would like riding a single-speed very much, I went for an inexpensive Stout/Southeast from the Jenson website. Or rather, I

knew I would like it, but I didn't know how well I would fare on it here in ridge country. Much to my surprise, it's not that much harder to just stand up and power on up the hills. So now I'm thinking it might be fun to get hold of a single-speed (non-fixie) road bike.

The only changes I've made to the bike are to add a computer and a bottle cage and replace the original saddle post, which did not adjust up quite far enough for me, with a Truvativ. The saddle itself is a WTB knock-off, but it's just as comfortable as the WTB on my Fuji, so no point in changing it.

If only I were as tough as Kenny Mayne, I wouldn't let a little snow stop me. Mayne was featured on ESPN's NFL pre-game show this morning, riding a really cool cruiser bike and wearing a football helmet. Move over, Alberto. You got yourself some competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment